Saturday, March 26, 2011

Banana Blossom Thai Café


I am definitely a fan of Thai food, enjoying it more than Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese. Having the opportunity to live in Chicago--land of cheap, abundant, and delicious Thai food--has spoiled me. New Orleans Thai is much in the lacking, so any time a new Thai restaurant opens up in the city, I am eager to try it.
Even if it means driving to the West Bank.

Banana Blossom was also introduced to me by Gay. We both immediately enjoyed the name and perused the menu online. The website had me thinking it was a semi fancy restaurant and the food all sounded very good, but its location in Gretna, LA kept me at bay. I waited until Gay tried the place first before I went.

So off Cory and I went this afternoon for a west bank adventure.

I have to say that the place was not what I expected. Located in a shopping center off Belle Chasse Highway, it was not exactly an upscale restaurant, but I still had high hopes. I started with a thai iced tea and ordered some crispy veggie egg-rolls. Strike one against the place was that they were "sold out" of the appetizer. For my entrée I opted for a standard chicken pad thai, though now I wish I had tried something different like a fried rice or curry dish.



My thai iced tea was good, but I've had better. And same goes to the pad thai. I think Bangkok Thai, Chill Out Café, and La Thai all have tastier pad thais. The one at Banana Blossom also had too much egg for my liking. Don't get me wrong, the food was not bad by any means, I just don't see myself going back there again. I was slightly disappointed. If I'm going to drive to the west bank, I'll be heading to pho tau bay.

Banana Blossom Thai Café
2112 Belle Chasse Hwy, suite 10
Gretna, LA 70056

No comments:

Post a Comment