Monday, December 5, 2011

Caramelized Onion Quiche




I don't know how I wasted so many years not understanding what quiche was. It has only been in the last year or so that I tasted and fell in love with it. (and FYI, Tartine on Perrier St has the best quiche in the city if you're looking.)

I decided it was time to try making a quiche of my own and found a caramelized onion quiche recipe that looked easy enough.

Here's what you need:


1 frozen pie crust (next i'm going to work on making my own crusts, but for my first quiche i went the easy frozen way)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 large red onions (I used 1 because that's all I had)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 Cup milk
1/2 Cup heavy cream
3 large eggs (I used 4 small)
fresh rosemary
6 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (about 1 and 1/2 cups) -- when I swung over to Robert's to grab some gruyere, all they had was an applewood smoked version, so I used it. Couldn't have worked out better.

1. Prebake pie crust for about 15 minutes.
2. Cook onions and salt for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Reduce and cook for 40 minutes until well browned. Add vinegar and cook another 10 minutes.
3. Place pan on baking sheet. Sprinkle half the cheese, then the onions, and the remaining cheese over crust.
4. Whisk eggs, milk, and cream. Season to taste. Pour over the cheese and onions.
5. Bake until just set in the center. From 35 minutes up to an hour. Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment