Monday, October 11, 2010

Strawberry Bread


A co-worker of mine had a birthday on 10-10-10, so I decided to make strawberry bread for her. I had made this bread once before probably about a year ago, and I had forgotten how freaking good it was. I should have been baking this bread all strawberry season. Instead, I was bad and bought 2 crates of california strawberries for one last taste of summer.

Here's what you need:


1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tspn vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tspn cinnamon
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
2 heaping cups sliced strawberries

Here's what you do:

1. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl
2. Beat in the eggs and vanilla
3. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl
4. Add 1/3 of the dry bowl to the wet, then add 1/2 the yogurt to the wet mixture, followed by a second 1/3 of the dry mixture, the last half of yogurt, and finally the remaining dry mixture.
5. Gently mix in the strawberries and pour into a lightly greased 9x5 loaf pan

Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

This bread is like dessert when fresh from the oven, and a healthy filling breakfast sliced up and cooled. I found myself wanting more after giving most of it away as a birthday present.

No comments:

Post a Comment