Friday, September 17, 2010

Banana Bread (Muffins)


Every time my sister and I buy bananas at the grocery store, there are bound to be one or two that start going brown before we get to them. Personally, I like to eat my bananas when they are still a little green, so in order to not waste the fruit, I peel the brown ones, pop them in a ziploc bag and store them in the freezer. Any time I have a craving for banana baked goods, I can (almost) instantly satisfy that craving because of my stock of old 'nanners.
I've been locked indoors all day while workers cut down an old oak tree in the back yard and I decided to make some muffins for breakfasts next week.

I modified and combined two different banana bread recipes and poured the batter into muffin tins instead of a loaf pan. Here's what you'll need:

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (or regular flour if you're a baby)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup of butter (room temp, or zap it in the microwave like i did)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
3 overripe and mashed bananas
1/2 cup chocolate chips (original recipe called for 1 cup, but i'm trying to be "healthy")

1. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a separate bowl
3. Beat eggs, bananas, and yogurt into wet mixture
4. Combine wet and dry
5. Mix in chocolate chips
6. Pour into muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes


This recipe made me 18 muffins. If using a 9x5 loaf pan, bake for an hour or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment