Saturday, September 18, 2010

Uncommon Ground


If you know me well enough, you know that my favorite restaurant of all time is Uncommon Ground, the Devon location. The one on Clark existed first, but I never knew about it and I still have yet to go there. However, the Devon-Edgewater branch impressed me from my very first visit. I am into everything about this place: from the evolving seasonal, local, and organic menu, to the green building and rooftop garden, to the art on the walls and live music, and above all else, of course, how well everything there tastes. I have not had one dish that disappointed me.


During my latest visit to Chicago I had the pleasure of dining there twice.

My friend Erin and I went there for brunch on a Friday. Brunch is available every day starting at 11am weekdays and 9am on the weekend. As I mentioned earlier, the menu--drinks included--changes with the season and available stock of all the fresh ingredients. I remember one time getting a fabulous iced mocha with fresh coconut, but I haven't had the luck of seeing it on the menu again since. I opted for a cappuccino instead. For a starter we chose the baked spinach, roasted garlic & goat cheese dip with olive oil crostini. The goat cheese makes this dip incredibly savory and I could just eat it up with my bare hands.


For my main course I went with the Summer Scramble. Zucchini, corn, tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella cheese. The flavors blended so nicely and tasted so fresh and straight from the garden. I loved the little yellow, orange, and red heirloom tomatoes, and I finally had my first sweet corn of the summer (little late, I know). I would have cut the serving of side potatoes in half, but I could have just been full from the goat cheese dip.


On my last night in town I had a lovely dinner on the outside patio.


We ordered an Uncommon Chopped salad for the table, which consists of romaine, grilled gunthorp farm chicken, bacon, black river gorgonzola, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, scallions, and smoked tomato ranch dressing. Oh. My. God. So good that I could have eaten the whole thing for my dinner.

For my entrée I went with the pork confit: peaches, market vegetables, polenta spaetzle, peach & thyme pork jus. I try not to eat pork because I loves pigs, but who am I kidding? Pork is delicious. The meat just melted on my fork and in my mouth. The market vegetable was zucchini, which I enjoy, but I know a lot of people who don't care for it too much. The polenta spaetzle was my second serving of summer corn, and peaches always go well with pork and duck.

By the time dessert came around I was ready to burst, but since I was on vacation I couldn't pass up on another uncommon course. The table split two dishes: a peach and blueberry crumble with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and these beignets with a vanilla sauce. The crumble was my favorite of the two, but I think I would have chosen the lemon ginger cheesecake if I could do it over again. I'm a lover of cheesecakes.

If you're ever in Chicago, go to this restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment